Saturday 18 July 2015

Finished Object: Gemini

Pattern: Gemini by Jane Richmond
Yarn: Cascade Yarns Ultra Pima Fine
Colours: Cranberry
Needles: 3.5mm and 3.75mm Round Needles
Start of project: June 27th, 2015
End of project: July 18th, 2015

On Ravelry

Wow, this took me forever. There were a few hickups, like having to go back quite a bit because size XS was just too small. Size S has still a lot of negative ease but I like the way it looks. Then I realised that I'd run out of yarn, ordered more yarn and then realised that I'd ordered the wrong yarn in the first place and had to order more of that wrong yarn. You see there's Cascade Yarns Ultra Pima and Ultra Pima Fine. One comes in 100gr and is DK weight, the other comes in 50gr and is fingering weight. I had started with the finer one (which wasn't the one I was supposed to use, but it somehow worked with my gauge), then when I ordered more I chose the wrong one, so that I have now two skeins of Ultra Pima DK in cranberry (who knows what that will turn into) and finally I ordered the right one.



Add to this chaos an intense heat wave which has made it pretty unpleasant to even touch yarn. I was only able to knit a few lines every day, either late at night or very early in the mornings and so I didn't make any progress.


But yesterday I was so stressed out by this non-progress that I sat down and just kept going. I finished the body and the first sleeve and today all I had to do was to finish the other sleeve and sew in the threads. Then Antonia took some photos (during a thunderstorm with really bad light in the staircase ;-) and now it's blocking and I am free to start my Canada holiday knitting. High time because we will take off tomorrow...


Can you tell why the top is called Gemini from the pictures? Well, you can wear it in two different ways, with the lace in the front or in the back. Clever isn't it.


4 comments:

  1. Love the negative ease on you! I feel like with in-the-round patterns, negative ease works better, as it adds more structure to the garment. Pima cotton looks amazing, I worked with it once and I know how soft it is - a dream to work with! I am not sure if I already told you that, but I love, love, love your hair!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I never thought about it but I am sure you are right that negative ease adds structure. I loved knitting with Cascade Pima. Thanks for complimenting my hair. It's pretty wild especially in the summer when I go swimming almost every day.

      Delete
  2. beautiful sweater and worth all the hiccups! You look stunning in it and the fit and color is perfection!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Karen. The shirt is waiting for us to come back from holidays, another week on the west coast of Canada and then we will be back.

      Delete