Wednesday 30 September 2015

Finished Object: Snowfling Mitts

Pattern: Snowfling Mitts by Tanis Lavallee
Yarn: Purl Soho Line Weight
Colours: Cardamon Green, Heirloom White and Peacock Blue
Needles: 3.25mm Round Needles
Start of project: September 12th , 2015
End of project: September 30th, 2015

On Ravelry

While I was still in Tschiertschen I cast on the first of these mitts. I had a lot of left overs from Yannick's Atlas and I wanted to see how the colours looked together as mitts. Because the yarn is fingering weight I held it double for the outer mitts and used only one strand for the inner lining mitt, which worked out well.

At first I was convinced that the mitts were going to be far too wide, but I realised quite soon that they would be quite tight in the end. I was hoping for a good blocking effect and I stretched them as much as possible once the outer mitts were done. They fit ok, but there isn't a lot of room for the thumbs and the fingers. So I decided to knit the inner mitt like a fingerless glove and ended the thumb after the gusset (I improvised a short row cast off) and the main part once I'd reached the beginning of the decreases for the fingers. I didn't attach the gusset, it stays in place just like that but I sewed the end of the fingerless mitt to the outer mitt to keep it from getting tangled.




The mitts are really soft and I think they'll be quite warm. They could be a bit bigger but I can wear them like this.

2 comments:

  1. What a lovely FO! I like how you used your leftover yarn from your previous project! It's always so satisfying! And I love your pictures - you look adorable!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love using up leftovers. At the moment I have a lot of it, and I really need to find small projects to use them up, because I don't have the space to keep the yarn and I neither want to throw it away...

      Delete