Monday 26 October 2015

Finished Object: Industry


Pattern: Industry by Libby Jonson
Yarn: Sweatermaker Yarns Simply Sock
Colour: Blue, yellow and white
Needle: 4mm Round Needle
Start of project: October 4th , 2015
End of project: October 25th, 2015

On Ravelry

The yarn for this shawl has been travelling quite a bit before it was all knit up and ready to be worn today. I bought it during our summer holidays on Vancouver Islands, at Uptown Yarn in Courtenay. I am not really good at yarn shopping in an actual store, I am always rather overwhelmed by all the colours, sizes and possibilites, so I tend to either buy nothing or something I am not sure I'll ever actually turn into a project. This yarn fell in the second category. I really liked the colours, because it looks like a mix of sunshine and the sea and it felt very soft but I had no idea what to knit with it.

A while ago I saw Michelle's Industry in her blog and I liked the pattern. I wasn't sure what it would look like in a very variegated yarn but I didn't want to buy even more yarn for a shawl I didn't really need urgently, so I decided to just do it. I only had the one skein and I knew it would always be difficult to find the perfect project for it.


I started my Industry just before we left for London and  Brighton. The pattern isn't difficult apart from the beginning and the end of each row (I always had to check these), so I was able to knit on the plane to Gatwich Airport and back, in our ugly green YHA room, on the train down to the coast, in our beautiful hotel room in Brighton and also on the beach (definitely my favourite place of course). Back at home I put it aside and concentrated on my Hitchcock, till I run out of yarn with that one. Whenever I was tired and needed some sunshine in my life I picked up the shawl and knit a few more lines.


In the end I managed 26.5 repeats of the pattern and had about 3 inches of yarn left after I cast off, so very efficient use of these 500 yards. It is a bit light for the coming winter temperatures but it's very soft and cosy and I totally love the colours. The pattern is only visible when you are close up, but I know it's there and that's enough for me ;-)

2 comments:

  1. Beautiful pictures - you look so radiant! You found a perfect project for this precious skein!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have yet to wear it apart from these photos. It might be more of a spring shawl, right now I need real warmth and not just cosyness...

      Delete