Thursday, 5 November 2015

Finished Object: Honeycomb Toque

Pattern: Honeycomb Toque by Kent Turman
Yarn: Madelinetosh Vintage
Colour: Turquoise
Needle: 3.25mm and 4.5mm Round Needles
Start of project: October 26th , 2015
End of project: November 4th, 2015

On Ravelry

I've loved this pattern for a while now, but somehow the time was never right. Then after I'd finished my Hitchcock (which I'll write about as soon as I have some photos taken) I needed an easy project. I also really needed to dive into my stash again, because the suitcase where my yarn lives was so full I couldn't even close it anymore.

At first I wanted to try a different yarn - the Quincy & Co. Tern of which I still had lots of yarn left over from my Waterlily. Because Tern is fingering weight and this pattern calls for Aran, I decided to use two strands of Mist and one of Seaweed. In the little piece I knit it looked ok but once I started the hat it felt rather stiff and it was very intense knitting for my hands. Nevertheless I finished it. The hat looks ok but it doesn't feel very cosy. It's currently being blocked intensly which might make it more pliable - we will see ;-)

Once that first try was finished I totally wanted a nicer version and I remembered the yarn I'd bought at Strickcafé at their Lagerverkauf. I love the colour but I never knew what I was going to make with it. Well now it is my new Honeycomb Toque. I totally love the texture of it and I know I'll wear this a lot on my bike to school. I had to add quite a bit of lenght to the original pattern, it seems my hair needs a lot of space to be covered. Instead of 28 rows before starting with the decreases I needed 44 and it's still not too long.

Anyway, now that I used that yarn I might be allowed to start at new one again, maybe...