Saturday 14 November 2015

Finished Object: Mac Book Cover

Pattern: MacBook Cover
Yarn: Lang Yarns Merino + Superwash
Colours: Fuchsia, Olive, Marine, Off White
Needle: 4.5mm Round Needle
Start of project: November 4th , 2015
End of project: November 13th, 2015

On Ravelry

Usually my MacBook stays at home, but every once in a while I need to take it to school with me. As I didn't really have any kind of cover nor a good bag to transport it in, I decided to knit a cover for it. On Ravelry I found a pattern I liked for its shape, the Knit MacBook Air Cover Pattern. I decided I didn't want to do any sewing at the end of the project so I thought about a way to cast it on flat but still get to knit it in the round. I think I remembered this cast on from some other project but I wasn't sure if I could pull it off (I have no idea where I met this method, but I must have somewhere...)

Anyway, I cast on 120 stitches and then I alternated the first row with k1 and slip stitch with yarn in the front. I did that for 4 rows, then I divided the stitches on to two needles and afterwards I was ready to continue knitting in the round and start the colour work a few rows later. After a while I realised that my cover was too wide, so I started again, and then I had to start again because it was too small all of a sudden (I guess I should have done a proper swatch ;-)


In the end, 72 stitches worked great because the pattern repeat was 8 stitches and it was the right size too. For the pattern I used an old favourite of mine, the Sundottir pattern. I knit it twice, used up all my yarn (you can see all that was left over on the photo) and now my MacBook will be much cosier on my bike next time ;-)

4 comments:

  1. My goodness the output you accomplish is impressive - as are your finished pieces - but honestly I'm amazed at how you seem to churn things out -'so fun to follow along here!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Knitting is my way to wind down in the evenings while watching TV.

      Delete
  2. This looks so fantastic, I love the fair isle designt hat you chose, this looks like an awesome Mod Monday.... ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you Julie! It was fun combining different patterns. I am not yet at a point (and I might never be) to design something all by myself, but I got confident enough to experiment.

      Delete