Tuesday 18 October 2016

Carrapateira / Praia da Bordeira

On Monday my yoga buddies decided to learn to surf so I had the day all to myself because I knew that trying to get on a surfing board would probably kill me. I asked Anke (my Navigon voice ;-) and my travel guide where to go and together we decided to check out Carrapateira and the Praia da Bordeira. Just driving there was beautiful. After a short while on the fast main road I took a slower, bumpier road towards the coast with many curves and beautiful trees.


I drove through Carrapateira and ended up on my favourite beach in Portugal. The car park is on top of a little hill which gives you an amazing view all over Praia da Bordeira. Two wooden paths lead down from there. The first one ended on the top of the beach, in the middle of the crashing waves. Here I also saw my first cliff fisherman. They stand so close to the edge of the cliffs that it's rather scary to watch them but I can totally get the fascination of fishing there.


The second path ended at the bank of a small river that I had to wade through to get on the actual beach. There weren't a lot of people on the beach anymore even though the weather was stunning without being too hot. Perfect for a Galão and a bit of knitting in the sand.



We came back to the same beach two days later when the weather was quite different. This time there was no sun but mist and wind. The sea was much wilder and louder and I liked it just as much as the first time.




I don't know why I felt so connected to this beach but I am pretty sure that I will go there again sometimes soon.

2 comments: