Wednesday, 24 September 2014

Finished Object: Round Shawl

Pattern: Round shawl by Lang Yarns, Fatto a Mano #211, pattern 6
Yarn: 5 skeins of Lang Yarns, Merino 120 Colour superwash  #011
Needles: 4mm Circulars
Start of project: September 14, 2014
End of project: September 24, 2014
On Ravelry

My round shawl is done!

I had a good start with this pattern (and I liked that it came to Tschiertschen with me) but then it seemed to take forever, especially when I had to go back 22 rows yesterday because I realised that I had done one of the cables two rows too early. At first I pretended not to be bothered by it, but then I just couldn't ignore it anymore. The unravelling was painful and the picking up of 202 stitches was very slow. It took me a while to get all the stitches fully and facing in the right direction back on the needle. But I am very glad that I did it, because I know otherwise I'd always remember.

I liked knitting this shawl because while the pattern wasn't very difficult at all once I got into it, it was still interesting enough to keep me focused. It was my first magazine pattern and I am sure I'll knit more patterns by Fatto a Mano.

I liked seeing the colours change, they are just perfect for my taste. The yarn is soft and warm and I am looking forward to wearing it around my neck. I will also knit myself a pair of mitts with the same yarn soon, I think the cable and lace wrist warmers I did a few weeks ago will look really pretty with this yarn.

The only thing I didn't like about this yarn were the knots in the middle of at least three skeins. They were annoying because I had to cut out the knots, start over and then had many more ends to weave in but they were even more annoying because twice the yarn continued in a very different part of the colour gradient and I had to cut out a long part.


  1. it looks fantastic! I love the yarn you chose, the stripes look great even with all the texture.

    1. Thank you! This was the yarn that was used in the pattern, it's probably the first time I really used the exact yarn that a pattern was written for. I think it works very well and it's very interesting to see how different the same yarn looks with short rows of only 44 stitches. In the mitts I started knitting today the gradient develops very very slowly.