Thursday 26 March 2015

Finished Object: Moses Hoodie

Pattern: Moses Hoodie by Amy Christoffers
Yarn: Tanis Fiber Art Yellow Label
Colours: Lemongrass and Cobalt
Needles: 3.5mm and 4mm Round Needles
Start of project: March 11, 2015
End of project: March 25, 2015

On Ravelry

After exactly two weeks I finished Antonia's Moses Hoodie yesterday. I went zip shopping in the afternoon and managed to sew it in in the evening. It went better than I expected, it wasn't that scary at all, thanks to Purl Bee. I am not a big fan of sewing but I did it slowly and the fabric of the hoodie stayed nicely flat (it was definitely a good thing I blocked it before the zip).

I also managed to do everything else that was on my to-do and to-learn list.
  • The sweater turned out the right size. It is rather fitted but that's what Antonia wanted. The sleeves are actually slightly too long after the blocking, but she can fold them over and when her arms get even longer it will still fit. 
  • The pockets came together ok. I am glad I attached the side of the pocket together with the side of hoodie and the i-cord, that looks quite neat. I found it difficult to decide on the right cast off for the pocket ribbing but after the second try that I frogged I used the Sewn Cast-Off and liked the result.
  •  I gave up on the Fair Isle pattern. It was too complicated and it looked really messy. I am not so sure about the pattern as it is now and I think the hoodie could have used more Cobalt.
  • I used Tanis' way of the i-Cord and I am very happy with it. I found it much easier to pick up the stitches in the first row and only knit the i-Cord in the third row.
Antonia is happy with her hoodie and I hope she'll enjoy wearing it.

2 comments:

  1. I'm going to fave your hoodie because I hope to make this pattern one day and will need all of your notes. I barely hand sew and have never installed a zip. It is daunting. You did an excellent job! It fits perfectly and is such a bright, happy knit. I just ordered my first skein from Tanis Fiber Arts today. Getting a whole sweater made from it is a true gift. Your daughter is adorable in it. And for her to like it? That's when you know you did well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've admired Tanis' yarn right from when I started knitting last year. I wanted to knit something with it ever since but only when I reknit the I heart Cardigan I allowed myself to order her yarn. And now maybe a dam has broken because I let my daughter choose her colours on Tanis' website.

      Delete