Sunday 23 August 2015

Finished Object: Playdate

Pattern: Playdate by TinCanKnits
Yarn:  Party of Five / SweetGeorgia
Colours: Snapdragon
Needles: 3.25mm and 3.75 Round Needles
Start of project: August 8th , 2015
End of project: August 23rd, 2015

On Ravelry

For this little cardigan I used the second part of my yarn shopping at Vancouver's Baaad Anna yarn store.

It was love at first sight with these five small skeins of sock wool. I had no idea what I'd knit with it but I knew right away that I wanted it. We went back to our b&b that day and there I got a text message from my cousin. His wife had just given birth to his second daughter. I knew I wanted to knit something for her but had no idea what it would be yet.

 The next day we flew back home and I think it was still in Canada that I read Julie's Modification Monday blog entry about a very special little Playdate cardigan. I had already seen this stunning version on Tanis' blog a couple of days earlier.

After a very long flight we got home and the next few days were a blur of jet lag and birthday parties. I actually met my cousin but didn't see the baby yet. And then it clicked. I realised I must have bought that yarn pretty much at the same time the baby was born back home in Zürich, so of course the yarn had to be made into something for the baby and I remembered those two blog entries and voilà -  my own stripey version of Playdate.


I only did the fair isle on the knit rows, the purl rows came out too uneven. Knitting this was slow work, all the colour changes brought lots and lots of yarn ends to sew in. I tried to do it as tidily as possible, but the ends aren't totally invisible and I hope it won't unravel. But I am happy that I knit it like this and I hope little Marlene will like it once she's a bit older ;-)

2 comments:

  1. Mmm! What a beautiful and joyful project! This yarn package looks like candy! No wonder you couldn't resist!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. exactly like a candy store or a very tempting ice cream ;-)

      Delete