Thursday 27 August 2015

Madeira Park - Vancouver

On the 31st of July we started the last part of our road trip. We left the silence of the Sunshine Coast and took the ferry to Vancouver. Still on the Sunshine Coast we had a last coffee break on the beach in Sechelt / Selma Beach.


The light on the ferry was amazing, so many different shades of blue. Too bad it only took us about 45 minutes, I would have loved to stay on the water for much longer.


As soon as we landed at Horseshoe Bay it was obvious that we had arrived in a different world. There was such a long queue of cars waiting for the next ferry out, probably because it was the beginning of a long weekend and everybody wanted to go where we just came from, either the Sunshine Coast or Vancouver Island. We drove the other way, right into a huge traffic jam. It took us more than an hour to get from West Vancouver over Lions Gate Bridge, through Stanley Park and Downtown to our bed and breakfast Cambie Lodge on West 13th Avenue. We were pretty knackered by the time we arrived and were very glad to take a break.

The next morning I was all excited because I was finally going to meet Melissa. I've known her for more than ten years. We met through bookcrossing.com, had a lifejournal at the same time, spent a lot of time on flickr, are friends on facebook and instagram and read each other's blogs. But we never met in person in all these years and there were always 9 hours of time difference between us. So it was strange to actually see and hear her at 12pm in front of Broadway-Cityhall. But it didn't take long at all for it to feel perfectly normal. I love internet friendships ;-)


She took us on a walk along False Creek to Granville Island, then we had to have a break at Starbucks because we were so hot. Next we crossed Granville Bridge which freaked me out quite a bit. On one side there is the long distance to the water, so I had to stay clear of that edge but on the other side of the footwalk the cars drive by really fast and you know you really shouldn't fall on the lane.


Too soon it was time to say goodbye again. I really hope we will meet again somewhere and I wished we didn't live right on the other side of the world from each other.

In the evening we went to Kitsilano Beach. It was the 1st of August which is typically celebrated with firework in Switzerland (it's Swiss National Day) and we were so happy to find out that we were going to get a very special show even though we weren't home. The time before it got dark was amazing, we saw the most spectacular sunset which made me wish I lived closer to the sea even more.


The firework was cool too even though we were slightly too far away for close up photos.


On our last day we took the bus out to E Hastings Street where I wanted to find Baaad Anna's yarn store (and of course we found it, because I already posted my Vanilla Latte Socks and my Playdate Cardigan which were both knit with yarn I bought there). Then we flew over Canada and had a blast and last but not least we rode rented bikes around Stanley Park.



And then, sadly, it was time to go home on the 2nd of August. We had a bit of time before our flight to Reykjavik took off, so we said goodbye to Vancouver Island and the sea from Iona Beach Provincial Park and then we had to leave.


Right now I am kind of sad that I sorted through all our 3000 photos and wrote all the blog entries I wanted to do but I am sure lots and lots of little moments will stay in my mind and we will always look back to this road trip with longing for more.

8 comments:

  1. oh wow, looks like it was a really wonderful vacation, and you had such lovely weather! Love all the happy bright sunshine in these photos.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We had a lot of sunshine and sometimes it was even too hot. I really enjoyed the slightly misty days in Tofino but I wouldn' t want to miss a day of the hotter ones.

      Delete
  2. Magnificent pictures! And this yarn store loos wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was so cool to go shopping there. In a way it's good that we don't have anything similar here, because how would I restrain myself, but I'd love to go to the knitting meetings there...

      Delete
  3. What a lovely trip. Vancouver is one of my favourite cities to visit. There is so much to see and do.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For me Vancouver is on the list of places I'd like to live for a while.

      Delete
  4. There never seems to be enough time to fit in all that we want into one trip, right? Having never been to Vancouver (except in my dreams), I thank you for taking us there with you.
    How wonderful that you got to meet up with a blogging friend. That in itself makes the trip more special.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I met a few online friends in real life and it was always great. Meeting Melissa was something I wanted to do for a long time.

      Delete