Sunday 16 August 2015

Finished Object: Vanilla Latte Socks


Pattern: Vanilla Latte by Virginia Rose-Jeanes
Yarn: White Birch Fiber Arts 80/20
Colours: Fruit or Vegetable
Needles: 2.75mm Round Needles
Start of project: August 2nd , 2015
End of project: August 16th, 2015

On Ravelry

I bought the yarn for these socks in Vancouver. Before we went on our road trip in BC, I checked up the area for yarn stores. There were several but the one I liked best was Baaad Anna's so going there was definitely on my to do list. On our second last day in Vancouver the time was right and we took the bus out to East Hastings St. At first we couldn't find the shop and it was so hot we were close to giving up, just when we spotted the sheep sign outside the store.

Inside the shop was filled with lovely goodies. I was kind of overwhelmed by all the possibilites, but pretty soon I was sure that I wanted to buy a skein of selfstriping sock yarn. There were many beautiful combinations but the purple and pink of Fruit or Vegetable looked just perfect.


I wound the yarn and cast on while still at the B&B in Vancouver. I always find the few first lines rather wobbly so I wanted to do that in the calm of our room. But then this was the ideal travelling project. I knit on the plane to Reykjavik and on the second one to Zürich, I knit at the lake back home in Zürich and at the pool as well as on the balcony and the sofa at home.

The yarn was a pleasure to knit with and I loved seeing the stripes grow. I am glad that I picked the Vanilla Latte pattern, I am sure I'll knit that pattern again.

Now that the weather has turned much cooler I am sure I'll wear them soon and I hope I'll get the chance to buy more selfstriping sock yarn, preferably when I can actually buy it in a real yarn store ;-)

4 comments:

  1. Thank you for the yarn store link - I love seeing "real" stores. Shopping online is great, but there is nothing that can compare with the atmosphere of the actual yarn store! Your socks fit you perfectly! You chose beautiful colors!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We don't have yarn stores like that in Switzerland so it was great to go somewhere with yarn that is quite special.

      Delete
  2. gorgeous colorway and love the striping :) I am hoping to be in a yarn store (or two!) in a few days. It's been a year since I've bought yarn.

    ReplyDelete
  3. good luck ;-) I bought lots of yarn online but this was special because it will always remind me of our road trip.

    ReplyDelete